Even though our last bargaining session was cancelled for LSG Sky Chefs, our fight continues. Here are the demands we are presenting to LSG Sky Chefs, Gate Gourmet, and United.
UNITE HERE COVID-19 DEMANDS:
UNITE HERE is making the following demands to the Company during the COVID-19 (coronavirus) crisis.
- 5 additional paid sick days and no doctors note needed
- No attendance points or discipline to any employee who calls in sick or who is subject to quarantine.
- Paid leave and no loss of benefits if a doctor recommends quarantine for a sick worker.
- Train all employees on proper and safe techniques for limiting spread of COVID-19 (corona virus).
- Provide employees with appropriate supplies and protective equipment.
- Continue to pay health insurance for workers who currently have it, if workers are laid off or have less hours due to corona virus impact on business.
- If lay off or reduction in hours is necessary due to the impact on flights due to Corona Virus, the company has to first ask workers to volunteer for layoff or shorter schedules before doing it by seniority.
- Upon request, the Employer shall grant employees leaves of absence, provided that a leave of absence may not last past August 31, 2020.
Throughout this global health crisis, we won’t let the airline industry get away with the plundering they committed against working people after 9/11. Investing in our workforce will be the only way to keep passengers safe. Especially when food safety against contamination should be the priority in confronting a pandemic. We will remain steadfast in our demands against poverty wages and unaffordable healthcare because it keeps us and the passengers safe.
Read this article in the LA Times where Local 11 leader Amparo Ramirez speaks about the sick leave policy: https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-02-29/coronavirus-sick-days-health-insurance
Katie Muncy, who works at LSG Sky Chefs in Detroit, spoke to the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/09/sick-leave-coronavirus/