On November 26—the Tuesday before Thanksgiving Day—airline catering workers and their supporters will call on American Airlines to take urgent and necessary steps to ensure workers who cater inflight meals and beverages are able to escape poverty and access health care.
Collectively, this will be the largest demonstration of workers at U.S. airports in years.
Protests will take place at the following airports:
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) — 2:30p ET
- Chicago-O’Hare International Airport (ORD) — 10:00a CT, ORD Terminal 3 and 3:00p CT, ORD Terminal 1
- Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport (DFW) — 2:30p CT
- Denver International Airport (DIA)
- Detroit Wayne International Airport (DTW) — 12:30pm, McNamara Terminal Arrivals
- Daniel K. Inouye Honolulu International Airport (HNL)
- Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
- Las Vegas McCarran International Airport (LAS) — 11a PT, LAS Terminal 1 Departures
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) — 4:30p PT, 98th St & Airport Blvd.
- Miami International Airport (MIA) — 4:30p ET, Terminal D Departures
- Minneapolis International Airport (MSP) — 3:30p CT, MSP Terminal 1
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK, New York) — 3p ET, JFK Terminal 8
- Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) — 5p ET, PHL Departures, at American Airlines’ Terminal B
- San Diego International Airport (SAN)
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO) — 1:00p PT, SFO Terminal 2
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA-TAC) — 6:00p PT
- Washington Reagan National Airport (DCA) — 5:00p ET, DCA Terminal C North Terrace
This day of protests is the latest in a series of demonstrations at U.S. airports calling attention to American Airlines, including large-scale demonstrations in Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, and Dallas-Ft. Worth—where over 50 were arrested in a civil disobedience action near American Airlines’ headquarters and largest hub airport.
* This page will be updated if and when additional protests are scheduled.
Media Coverage of Previous Protest Activity
- “Airline catering workers planning protests at major US airports Thanksgiving week,” CNBC (11/24/19)
- “Airline catering workers plan to protest at US airports over wages and healthcare,” The Guardian (11/24/19)
- “Union plans protests at DFW, LAX, JFK and others as Thanksgiving travel ramps up,” Forbes (11/19/19)
- “Airline food prep workers stage PHL ‘die-in’ to rally for better health care,” WHYY Philadelphia (10/25/2019)
- “Catering Workers Protest At American Airlines HQ”, 58 Arrested, CBS 11 Dallas (08/13/2019)
- “Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders Rally Behind DCA Catering Workers Who Want To Strike,” Washington City Paper (07/24/2019)